(815) 235-1322

MOLD FACTS (not for the weak stomach)

Mold and mildews are the number one cause of allergic symptoms that can lead to serious health problems. These health problems include emphysema, asthma or even death when inhaled.


If you are having a problem with allergies then there is a good chance you could have mold growing somewhere in your home. Common allergic reactions to mold include sneezing, sore eyes, a runny nose, or nasal congestion.


Do you notice your allergic reactions are worse when you're at home but you feel better when you go out? If so then it's likely you could have mold. If you find that your allergies are worse in some other building, like your workplace, then there could be mold growing there instead.


When you have mold growing (hidden away) in your house, often a moldy smell might be the only clue that it's there. Don't ignore mold odors if you can't see any mold. You should thoroughly inspect your home before any mold problems get worse.


Contact us to do a Mold Inspection for you.


Visible mold growth might seem like an obvious sign of mold. However many people don't notice small amounts of mold growth or they think it's just soot or dirt. Sometimes people simply ignore visible mold in their house.


If you can see mold growth, even if it's only small, you should take action immediately. Small mold patches can spread and the fact that there is any mold shows that the conditions in your home are right for mold to grow.


If you don't take care of mold it will soon become a bigger problem. Visible mold growth could also be a sign that there is a much larger mold colony growing hidden away from view.


Sometimes you might not realize there is mold in your house, especially if it is unusual looking mold. Some mold growth looks white and thread-like. Other mold appears as clusters of small black spots. Mold can be black, gray-brown, gray-green or white in color. Mold growing behind wallpaper made of vinyl can even appear orange, pink or purple.


If you have had any long term moisture problems in your house it's usually inevitable they will lead to mold beginning to grow. So if you know you've had some water problems in your home then it's a pretty good sign you could have mold.


Some signs that you have a moisture problem include water stains or discoloration on walls, floors, or ceilings in your house. Seeing these could be a clue that there is mold growing within or behind the material.


Another sign of a moisture problem is surface abnormalities like peeling, bubbling or cracking of the paint or wallpaper. If your walls are bowed, bulging or warped it probably means moisture has gotten into them. Another clue is if the surface of walls or other materials feel damp.


The above signs of water problems in homes are usually created by leaks. However if you already know that you have had a water leak (such as leaking pipes or a leaking ceiling) then just that knowledge by itself, even if you don't see signs of water damage, is a good sign that you might have mold growing in your house around the area where the leak was.


Mold growth from leaks can often be hidden. If the leak was behind a wall or other surface then any mold will probably be hidden behind the surface too. Even if the leak was not behind a surface.  There could still be mold hidden out of view, behind a wall or other surface, from water which seeped through.


If your house has been flooded in the past then it's likely that mold would've started to grow. Any mold would probably be growing in places where flood water remained the longest such as in the basement. Floods can often create mold growing out of view behind walls or under floors.


If you see a lot of condensation in your home then it's a sign that you have a high amount of moisture and hence a sign that you could have a mold problem. Condensation will occur on surfaces such as glass windows or metal pipes. Mold could be growing where the condensation buildup and collects. Rusting indoor pipes are a sign that you could have a lot of condensation in your house.


Besides the fact that condensation creates a build up of moisture for mold to grow on, condensation can also be a sign that you have a humidity problem in your home. A high humidity level can feed mold and it is another sign that you might have a potential mold problem.


If you suffer neurological symptoms such as headaches, trouble concentrating, shortened attention span, memory loss and dizziness it could be a sign that there is toxic mold growing somewhere in your house which is poisoning you.


Mycotoxins from toxic molds such as Stachybotrys chartarum can have a mental effect on people much more severe than the allergic symptoms caused by other non-toxic molds.


Like with allergies, if toxic symptoms increase when you are in your home or in a certain building then it's very likely that mold is growing there.

©2018 All Rights Reserved- All American Cleaning and Restoration, Inc.  -  Mold, Fire & Water Damage Restoration

The entire content on this website is owned by NMD Media and our licensors. Do not copy or print any of this content (images included) without our written consent. Website designed by NMD Media. A division of New Millenium Directories.